Thursday, May 24, 2012

I'm a Hooker!!!

Three words my father hoped never to hear me say "I'm a Hooker!"  However, I get to say them because now it's true!  It is official, after many years of trying, I have learned to crochet.

I took a beginning crochet class at Yarn Soup this past couple of thursdays with Diane and it was great fun.

I had problems at first because I'm a thrower when it comes to knitting so I didn't really have a good way of holding my yarn to keep proper tension on it and the method Diane was using just didn't work for me.  However, between my first class and the class tonight I had time to watch various you tube videos on crochet and saw how different people held their yarn and found a way that works for me.  I think it will be terribly funny if I finally figure out how to knit Continental by taking a crochet class.  :)

Here is a picture of my crochet to date.  The little gray square was what I managed to get done in the first class.  I was throwing the yarn when I made this swatch so I didn't get very far.  The green piece next to it I made at home while trying out various methods of holding the yarn and practicing the stitches Diane taught us.  The bit on top is what we did in tonights class.  Diane showed us how to read a pattern and how to make granny squares.  I goofed on mine and it is turning into a granny star but that is ok.  I know what I did wrong and I don't care for granny square afghans anyway so I don't have to worry about fitting it in with other squares.  This one will probably end up as a trivet.


None of my attempts to date are perfect, but that's ok.  I've only been at this a week and I have years ahead of me to practice.  



No comments:

Post a Comment